Inside SEL was launched two years ago as a platform to explore the growing conversation around social-emotional learning and to share information, inspiration, and news from the world of SEL.
Our original goal for this for this platform — as well as our free This Month in SEL monthly e-newsletter — was to serve as a megaphone, amplifying the great work already being done by leaders in SEL across the country. As we enter 2020, our mission remains the same: to provide a central location to widely share the latest insights and resources from the field of social and emotional learning and initiative meaningful conversations about the future of education with our passionate and inquisitive readers.
Reflecting back on 2019, it is interesting to see how our most popular content from earlier this year mirrors many of the important trends and questions that educators grappled with throughout the last twelve months. Social and emotional learning, equity in education, and the youth mental health crisis all remain top-of-mind for educators and parents. District leaders are eager to find ways to better support their staff in cultivating their own social, emotional and cultural competencies. Policymakers are becoming increasingly focused on passing legislation to support the whole child. And educators (from K-12 through higher education) are implementing a plethora of different initiatives and programs to integrate social-emotional learning into their classrooms.
In 2020, we look forward to bringing you more news, analysis and resources from the world of social and emotional learning. Thank you for your support and continue reading to view a curated list of our top ten most popular posts from 2019.
- The State of SEL in Massachusetts
- Jeff Riley on the State of Education in Massachusetts
- Teaching SEL Through Chess: An Interview With New Wave Programs Founder Michael Handley
- The Case for Integrating STEM and SEL Education
- Examining the Aspen Institute’s New SEAD Action Guide
- Confident Parents, Confident Kids: Raising Emotional Intelligence in Ourselves and Our Kids
- The Role of “Teacher Mindsets” on Student Success
- C.B. Community Schools: A New Model for Competency-Based, Trauma-Informed Education
- SEL as a Foundation for Equity Work
- Monomoy’s Bill Burkhead on Building a “Home Away From Home” for Students