This month in SEL: GGSC launches new online SEL courses for educators, Panorama to host a free all-day virtual summit, five ways schools are addressing pandemic-induced mental health issues, and more!
Thank you for reading This Month in SEL. This newsletter is free and we would love it if you could share it with friends and colleagues. If you want to receive this as a monthly e-newsletter, click here to subscribe.
Greater Good Science Center Introduces New Online SEL Courses for Educators
Looking for specific strategies and easy-to-implement practices to help you foster social and emotional well-being in your classroom and school?
This suite of practical, self-paced courses includes mini-courses for increasing your foundational knowledge in the fields of social and emotional learning, mindfulness, and character education.
5 Ways Schools Are Addressing Pandemic-Induced Mental Health Issues
With dire statistics about how COVID-19 is already impacting the mental well-being of students and school staff, as well as the lingering duration of the public health crisis, administrators and school psychologists are assessing their approaches and planning for more supports where needed. They’re also finding confidence in their growing capacity to respond to the trauma their communities are experiencing.
In this article, clinical psychologists discuss proactive ways schools are addressing students and staff mental health.
Panorama Education to Host Virtual Summit: Centering Equity and the Whole Child
On Monday, February 22, join thousands of caring district leaders and educators for Panorama’s Virtual Summit. This free all-day conference will bring together thought leaders, researchers & practitioners to strengthen the belonging, social-emotional learning, equity, and achievement of students, staff, and school communities.
Experience live sessions by renowned speakers like Elena Aguilar and Dr. Tracey Benson, plus a student voice panel and 10+ premium workshops from leading SEL curriculum providers.
Register to receive live Summit access as well as the ability to view presentation recordings for 30 days following the event.
A Guide for Engaging Students Around Top-of-Mind Issues in 2021
This resource (from America’s Promise Alliance) takes a deep dive into issues young people have mentioned as top-of-mind in this pivotal moment in our nation’s history, including navigating a pandemic and their role in fighting for racial justice.
- What it’s like to learn from inside a homeless shelter (via The Washington Post)
- Pandemic’s mental toll hitting adolescents especially hard (via Post Bulletin)
- SEL in a Virtual World (via Transforming Education)
- Research Year in Review (via Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence)
- How to Teach Character in the Classroom and Online (via Edutopia)
- Partly hidden by isolation, many of the nation’s schoolchildren struggle with mental health (via The Washington Post)
- The Pandemic Has Revealed What Really Matters in Education. (Spoiler: It’s Not Tests.)
- Surge of Student Suicides Pushes Las Vegas Schools to Reopen (via NY Times)
- 10 Days of Mental Health for Educators (via ASCD)
- 8 Education Trends to Watch in 2021 (via HMHC)
This Month in SEL | January, 2021